Get Certified in Minutes
Money-Back Guarantee If Not Approved
Get Certified in Minutes
Money-Back Guarantee If Not Approved
Apply for Your Ohio Medical Marijuana Card Online
Pay only $99 for the appointment – and get your money back if you’re not approved!
Benefits of Getting a Card
Wondering how a medical marijuana card in Ohio can transform your cannabis experience?
Book an Appointment with Leafwell
Speak to a Leafwell healthcare provider to get approved for an Ohio medical marijuana card. The consultation costs $99; you’ll receive your money back if not approved.
Discuss Medical Marijuana with Your Provider
Most appointments take 15 minutes or less.
If approved, your Leafwell healthcare provider will submit your information to the Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program Patient and Caregiver registry.
Receive an Email from the State of Ohio
Within three business days, you’ll receive an email from the Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program (MMCP) to complete your application.
Receive Your OH Medical Card
You’ll receive your MMJ card via email from the state of Ohio after you complete the application and pay the $50 state fee.
Military veterans and people with indigent status pay $25. You can then download your digital card to purchase medical cannabis at licensed Ohio dispensaries.
Trusted by 400,000+ Patients
Apply for Ohio
Claim Your Medical Card TodaySee a Doctor Now
What You Need to KnowApply Now
Eligibility / Patient
Patients older than 18 living within Ohio’s state lines with a diagnosed qualifying condition can apply for a medical cannabis card.
You must obtain a doctor’s recommendation and submit the form as a part of your application.
Some patients may be eligible for an MMJ card but cannot apply themselves.
For example, should the patient be a minor under 18, or if the patient needs assistance accessing medical cannabis, a patient can assign a caregiver to complete the process on their behalf.
Can Minors Qualify?
Minors can get a medical card in Ohio.
If the Ohio resident is a minor or has a court-appointed legal guardian, they must designate an adult caregiver to acquire and handle medical cannabis on their behalf.
A physician may recommend medical marijuana as a treatment only with the consent of the minor’s parent or guardian
What You NeedGet Started
Medical Marijuana Recommendation
Once you’re approved by a healthcare provider, they will submit your details to the Ohio MMCP Registry.
Proof of Identity
Acceptable forms of ID include an Ohio driver’s license or state ID card.
The following are also accepted with two proofs of residency: Out-Of-State Driver’s License or State Identification, Birth Certificate, US Passport or US Passport Card, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Permanent Resident Card, I-797 Case Type of N-565
Proof of Ohio Residence (Optional)
Acceptable proof of residence shows your name and current Ohio address, such as:
- Utility bills,
- Bank statements,
- Current property tax statements,
- Voter registration cards, and
- Health insurance documents.
Save more with Leafwell and get your money back if not approved.
|New with Leafwell
|Renewal with Leafwell
|Avg. other competitors
|Medical marijuana certificate
|State application fee
Next Steps After Approval
Congrats on getting your medical certification! You’re almost there, but there are a few more steps to complete to get your Ohio medical marijuana card. Let’s dive in!
- Before You Start: What You’ll Need
- A credit or debit card for payment
- A valid photo ID
- Mail Time: The patient is approved, and the physician submits the patient and/or caregiver information into the state registry. Then, they receive an email from the state within three business days.
- Complete the Application: Patients must complete the application on the Patient and Caregiver Registry using the link provided in their email from the state.
- Start Shopping: The patient can then download their medical card and legally purchase cannabis from a licensed dispensary.
How to Renew Your Card
It’s easy to renew your Ohio medical marijuana card with Leafwell.
Steps to Renew Your Card
- Sign in to Leafwell or register as a renewal patient if you’re new to Leafwell.
- Speak to an Ohio-licensed provider online.
- Get approved, and your recommendation will be submitted to the Ohio Registry within 48 business hours. As a renewal, you will not receive an email alert instructing you to proceed.
- Log into the Ohio Medical Marijuana Registry and click the “Renew Card” button.
- Complete the renewal registration and pay the state’s $50 fee.
- After payment is submitted, your new registry card will be available to download.
Navigating the legal landscape of medical marijuana can be a bit tricky, but we’re here to break it down for you. Here are some key points you should be aware of if you’re a medical cannabis patient in Ohio:
- Ohioans voted to legalize recreational marijuana, which went into effect on December 7, 2023.
- Recreational possession, use, and cultivation of cannabis are legal, but adult-use sales have not begun yet (but are expected to begin sometime in 2024).
- Currently, having a medical marijuana card is still the only way to legally purchase cannabis products in the state.
- Adults are allowed to possess up to 2.5 ounces of cannabis and 15 grams of marijuana concentrates.
- Marijuana cultivation is legal. Adults 21 and older can grow up to six plants (with a maximum of 12 plants per household).
- Smoking cannabis flower is illegal; however, vaping is allowed.
- It’s illegal to drive while under the influence of marijuana or to have an open container of marijuana in a vehicle while on the road or in a public place.
If you’re looking to become a caregiver for a medical marijuana patient in Ohio, there are some important rules and steps you’ll need to follow.
Picking Up for Patients
Good news! As a caregiver, you can pick up medical marijuana from a dispensary on behalf of a patient. Handy, right?
An individual may not serve as a Personal Caregiver for more than five patients at once. If the patient is a minor, having a caregiver is a must.
Caregivers must submit a separate application to get their own medical marijuana caregiver card. The recommending physician with whom the patient or prospective patient has a bona fide physician-patient relationship, or the physicians delegate, shall submit the caregiver registration.
To qualify, you must:
- Be at least 21.
- Live in Ohio and have proof of residency.
- Have an Ohio driver’s license or a state-issued ID card with your current address.
- Caregivers can also be a patient. This is no longer a disqualifying condition. However, a registered patient cannot be a caregiver and also receive caregiver services. Information on how to certify a caregiver as a patient can be found here.
- A patient’s recommending physician shall not serve as the patient’s caregiver.
- A background check is required. The state can take 30 days to complete the caregiver background check.
- A patient shall designate no more than two caregivers. The MMCP shall register no more than two caregivers for each patient.
If approved, you will receive your registration card in the mail within 10-15 business days.
Ohio does not recognize other states’ medical marijuana cards.
However, Ohio state law requires that the Ohio MMCP develop a medical marijuana reciprocity process with states to admit out-of-state medical cards.
That said, other states accept or recognize out-of-state medical marijuana cards:
- Arkansas *
- Hawaii *
- Michigan (at the dispensary’s discretion)
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey *
- New Mexico
- Oklahoma *
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- U.S. Virgin Islands *
- Utah * (up to two 21-day periods in a calendar year)
- Washington, D.C.
*Visitors must complete a visiting patient application with the state program.
States that have recreational cannabis for adults 21 and older but do not accept out-of-state cards include:
Check out our OH FAQ page for more frequently asked questions about the medical marijuana card process in Ohio.
How much does an Ohio Medical Marijuana certificate and card cost?
An online consultation for an Ohio medical marijuana card costs $99 and includes a 1-year certification. You’ll only be charged if approved. Plus, now you can sign up with a friend and each save 10% on your consultation.
Patients will also pay a separate $50 registration fee to the Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program.
Here’s an overview of the fees:
- $99 Initial certificate from Leafwell
- $99 Renewal certificate from Leafwell
- $50 State patient registration fee*
($25 reduced fee available with proof of indigent or veteran status)
- $25 State caregiver registration fee*
*State fees are not included with Leafwell fees and are paid directly to the state.
What medical conditions qualify for a Medical Marijuana Card in Ohio?
In Ohio, the following conditions may qualify you for a medical marijuana certificate and card:
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), aka Lou Gehrig’s Disease
- Chronic, Severe or Intractable Pain*
- Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Epilepsy (or another seizure disorder)
- Hepatitis C
- Huntington’s Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson’s Disease (PD)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Spinal Cord Disease or Injury
- Terminal Illness
- Tourette Syndrome (TS)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Ulcerative Colitis
What do I need to know about applying for my Medical Cannabis Card in Ohio online?
With Leafwell, applying for an Ohio medical marijuana card online is simple. Here’s what to expect:
- Register with Leafwell and speak to an Ohio-licensed physician online.
- Get approved and receive an account activation email from the state within 3 business days.
- Activate your patient registry account using the link from the email and pay the $50 state registration fee.
- Download your medical card and legally purchase cannabis from a licensed dispensary.
How old do I have to be to apply for a Medical Marijuana Card in Ohio?
Can I be/have a caregiver for a medical marijuana patient in Ohio?
Yes, medical marijuana patients in Ohio can have a caregiver. Caregivers must be added to the registry and linked to the patient by the certifying physician.
- Be at least 21 years of age and an Ohio resident.
- Parents of a minor patient who otherwise meet the requirements may be 18 or older.
- Pay a $25 annual registration fee.
- Pass an eligibility review/background check.
- Caregivers must use a different email address than their patients.
- Caregivers can also be a patient using the same email address as their personal patient account.
- Caregivers who are also patients may not have a caregiver themselves.
- Caregivers may serve up to two (2) patients.
To apply as a caregiver, follow this process:
- Ensure that your patient has provided your information to their recommending physician so you can be added as their caregiver.
- Locate the caregiver activation email, which will be generated once your information has been submitted to the Ohio Patient & Caregiver Registry.
- The email will come from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “ACTION NEEDED: Ohio MMCP Registry – Account Registration and Payment Submission.”
- Check your spam/junk if you cannot find the email in your inbox.
- Activate your registry account and create a new password.
- Pay the $25 caregiver registration fee.
- When the registration fee is paid, the background check will be performed, which can take up to 7-10 business days to complete.
- You must be linked to a patient for the background check to process.
- You’ll receive an email when your caregiver status has been approved.
- Once your caregiver status is approved, download your registry card to purchase medical marijuana on behalf of your patient.
How do I apply for the state program in Ohio?
Before you start, have these supporting documents ready:
- An email from the Ohio Medical Marijuana Control Program (see step 1)
- Credit or Debit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover)
Getting Your Ohio Medical Marijuana Card
- Once your Leafwell physician has entered your details into the registry, you’ll receive an email from email@example.com with the subject line “ACTION NEEDED: Ohio MMCP Registry – Account Registration and Payment Submission.”
- Click the link and follow the instructions to create your Registry password – note that you can only click the link once! If you attempt to click it more than once, you will be given an error message. If you need your email sent again, please send your name and date of birth to MMCPRegistry@com.ohio.gov so your email can be re-sent, or you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Create your registry password and choose your timezone.
- Review the information provided by your Leafwell Physician.
- Contact us at email@example.com if any information is incorrect.
- Click Activate Card and submit your registration fee.
- Download and print your card.
- Click the ‘Download’ button and save your card to your computer or cell phone.
- You can either print out this document in hard copy or have it visible on your cell phone to show the medical marijuana dispensary.
- Purchase your medical marijuana products.
- You will need to show your medical cannabis card (in digital or printed format) and a valid form of photo identification every time you purchase medical marijuana from an Ohio dispensary.
718 Nilles Rd, Fairfield, OH 45014, USA
1147 Pearl Rd, Brunswick, OH 44212, USA
5831 Dunham Rd, Maple Heights, OH 44137, USA
1242 N High St, Columbus, OH 43201, USA
1541 Lyons Rd, Centerville, OH 45458, USA
2817 Woodburn Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45206, USA
9520 Montgomery Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45242, USA