Get Certified in Minutes
Money-Back Guarantee If Not Approved
Get Certified in Minutes
Money-Back Guarantee If Not Approved
Apply for Your Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Card Online
Pay only $99 for the appointment – and get your money back if you’re not approved!
Benefits of Getting a Card
Wondering how a medical marijuana card in Pennsylvania can transform your cannabis experience?
Register on the PA Medical Marijuana Program Website
This registration process will provide you with a patient number. You’ll need this number to book an appointment with Leafwell.
Book an Appointment with Leafwell
Speak to a Leafwell healthcare provider to get approved for a Pennsylvania medical marijuana card online. It costs only $99. If approved, your healthcare provider will submit your certification to the State of Pennsylvania.
Wait for Approval From the State
Once the State of PA approves your application, you will get an email – log back to the state website and pay the $50 state fee.
Those participating in Medicaid, PACE/PACENET, CHIP, SNAP, or WIC may not have to pay the application fee.
Receive Your PA Medical Card in the Mail
You’ll receive a physical medical card from the state via U.S. mail, typically within five to ten business days.
You’ll need your physical PA medical card and state ID to purchase medical cannabis in a licensed dispensary.
Trusted by 400,000+ Patients
Apply for Pennsylvania
Claim Your Medical Card TodaySee a Doctor Now
What You Need to KnowApply Now
Eligibility / Patient
Adults at least 18 diagnosed with at least one qualifying medical condition may be eligible to apply for a PA medical marijuana card.
Pennsylvania allows patients to designate up to two caregivers; all minor patients must have one caregiver.
Caregivers must submit a separate application for their medical marijuana caregiver card.
Can Minors Qualify?
All minor patients must have a caregiver to be eligible for medical marijuana certification.
If you are a caregiver for a minor but not the patient’s parent, legal guardian, or spouse, you must be designated as a third-party caregiver.
What You Need
You’ll need to provide the following to apply for a Pennsylvania MMJ card:
Prior to speaking with a provider online at Leafwell, you’ll need to obtain a Patient Number – do this by creating a profile in the Medical Marijuana Registry.
Medical Marijuana Recommendation
Once approved by a healthcare provider with Leafwell, the provider will submit your information to the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Registry.
Proof of Identity
PA Driver’s License or PA State ID
Save more with Leafwell and get your money back if not approved.
|New with Leafwell
|Renewal with Leafwell
|Avg. other competitors
|Medical marijuana certificate
|State application fee
Next Steps After Approval
Congrats on getting your medical certification! You’re almost there, but there are a few more steps to complete within 60 days to get your Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Card. Let’s dive in!
- Before You Start: What You’ll Need
- A credit or debit card for payment
- Your Step-by-Step Guide. We’ve Got Your Back:
Your Leafwell physician has already sent all the necessary details to the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Registry after your appointment. Our team has done the heavy lifting for you!
- Log In: Head over to the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Registry and log back in.
- Complete the Application: Follow the prompts to fill out your application.
- Pay the Fee: There’s a $50 state fee to process your application. Good news—if you’re part of assistance programs like Medicaid, PACE/PACENET, CHIP, SNAP, or WIC, you might qualify for a $0 fee!
- Mail Time: Your medical card will be mailed to your address once you’ve paid. Expect it to arrive in 1-2 weeks. The card will be valid for one year.
- Start Shopping: With your new card and a valid photo ID (like a driver’s license), you can now legally purchase medical cannabis from an approved dispensary.
Note: You have 60 days from your physician’s approval to complete these steps. If you miss the deadline, your certifying physician will have to resubmit your certificate to the state, and that comes with an additional fee.
How to Renew Your Card
It’s easy to renew your Pennsylvania medical marijuana card with Leafwell.
You’ll get a friendly email reminder 60 days before your card is set to expire. This email will have a due date, usually about a week before your card’s actual expiration date. Missed the due date? Your card will be temporarily deactivated, but you can reactivate it instantly by logging in and paying the annual fee.
Steps to Renew Your Card
- Get Certified Again: Schedule a quick appointment with a Leafwell physician. Once approved, they’ll update your state records using your existing patient number.
- Check Your Info: Log back into your patient account here to ensure all your details are up-to-date.
- Confirm Your Address: Double-check that we have your right address on file.
- Make the Payment: About a month before your card expires, you’ll get another email with a link to pay the $50 annual fee. You might not have to pay anything if you’re eligible for a fee reduction!
- Receive Your New Card: After you’re re-certified and your payment is processed, a shiny new card will be mailed to your provided address. It’ll be valid starting the day after your old card expires.
Navigating the legal landscape of medical marijuana can be a bit tricky, but we’re here to break it down for you. Here are some key points you should be aware of if you’re a medical cannabis patient in Pennsylvania:
30-Day Supply: With a valid medical marijuana card, you can purchase and possess up to a 30-day supply of medical cannabis products. Make sure to keep your card handy!
No Recreational Use: Just a heads-up—recreational marijuana is still a no-go in Pennsylvania. Your medical card doesn’t give you a free pass for recreational use.
Cultivation is Off-Limits: Even if you’re a medical marijuana patient, growing your own cannabis plants is illegal in Pennsylvania.
If you’re looking to become a caregiver for a medical marijuana patient in Pennsylvania, there are some important rules and steps you’ll need to follow.
Picking Up for Patients
Good news! As a caregiver, you can pick up medical marijuana from a dispensary on behalf of a patient. Handy, right?
Each patient can designate up to two caregivers. If the patient is a minor, having a caregiver is a must.
Caregivers need to submit a separate application to get their own medical marijuana caregiver card.
To qualify, you must:
- Be at least 21.
- You need to be living in Pennsylvania and have proof of residency.
- Have a Pennsylvania driver’s license or a state-issued ID card with your current address.
- Background Check: You’ll need to complete a criminal history background check.
- Clean Record: If you’ve been convicted of drug-related offenses in the last five years, you won’t be eligible.
- Register for an ID Card: Once you meet all the criteria, you’ll need to register and get an ID card that allows you to pick up medical marijuana at a Pennsylvania dispensary.
It can take up to six weeks to hear back about your caregiver application status after your fingerprinting appointment.
Pennsylvania does not offer medical marijuana reciprocity to cardholders from other states with medical programs.
That said, other states accept or recognize out-of-state medical marijuana cards:
- Arkansas *
- Hawaii *
- Michigan (at the dispensary’s discretion)
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey *
- New Mexico
- Oklahoma *
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- U.S. Virgin Islands *
- Utah * (up to two 21-day periods in a calendar year)
- Washington, D.C.
*Visitors must complete a visiting patient application with the state program.
States that have recreational cannabis for adults 21 and older but do not accept out-of-state cards include:
Click here for more Frequently Asked Questions about Pennsylvania.
How much does a Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana certificate and card cost?
An online consultation for a Pennsylvania medical marijuana card costs $99 and includes a 1-year certification. You’ll only be charged if approved. Plus, now you can sign up with a friend and each save 10% on your consultation.
Patients will also pay a separate $50 fee to the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program to receive their patient ID card.
Here’s an overview of the fees:
- $99 1-year certificate from Leafwell
- $50 State card fee*
(Participants in Medicaid, PACE/PACENET, CHP, SNAP, or WIC may have fee waived.)
*State fees are not included with Leafwell fees and are paid directly to the state.
What medical conditions qualify for a Medical Marijuana Card in Pennsylvania?
In Pennsylvania, the following conditions may qualify you for a medical marijuana certificate and card:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), aka Lou Gehrig’s disease
- Anxiety disorders
- Chronic Hepatitis C
- Crohn’s disease
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the central nervous system (brain-spinal cord)
- Dyskinetic and spastic movement disorders
- Huntington’s disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Intractable seizures
- Multiple sclerosis
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Opioid use disorder
- Parkinson’s disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Severe chronic or intractable neuropathic pain
- Severe chronic or intractable pain
- Sickle cell anemia
- Terminal illness
- Tourette syndrome
How does the online evaluation process work for getting a Medical Marijuana Recommendation Letter/Medical Certificate in Pennsylvania?
There are four simple steps to seeing a Leafwell provider to get approved for a Pennsylvania medical marijuana card:
- Register on the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program website. Receive your patient number immediately after registering.
- Create a Leafwell account using a valid email address and choose a password. You’ll be asked to complete a brief questionnaire of personal and health information and to either take or upload a photograph of identification (we’re required by law to verify your identity). You will need a smartphone, computer, or tablet with a reliable internet connection and a working camera to be seen by a Leafwell provider.
- Schedule an appointment or enter the virtual waiting room. You will receive a text message on your cell phone when the provider is ready to see you. You’ll be connected to a Leafwell healthcare provider for a video chat (i.e., a virtual doctor’s visit). During the visit, your provider will assess your medical condition(s) to determine if you qualify for a Pennsylvania medical marijuana certification.
- If you are approved for a medical marijuana card, the Leafwell provider will submit your certification directly to the state. You can then return to the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program website to pay the annual state registration fee for your card. Once payment is complete, your card will arrive in 1-2 weeks.
How old do I have to be to apply for a Medical Marijuana Card in Pennsylvania?
You must be at least 18 years old to apply for a medical marijuana card in Pennsylvania.
Minor patients may apply with consent from a custodial parent or legal guardian.
Caregivers must be 21 or older.
Can I be/have a caregiver for a medical marijuana patient in Pennsylvania?
Yes, medical marijuana patients in Pennsylvania can have a caregiver. An individual 21 years of age or older, unless authorized by the department, can serve as a caregiver. Caregivers must register with the Department of Health and follow the instructions to complete a criminal history background check with the commonwealth’s authorized vendor.
In order to register as a patient’s caregiver, you must have a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license or PA state-issued ID card. If the patient is already registered, you will need the patient’s name, date of birth and patient ID number.
You cannot be a caregiver if you have been convicted of a criminal offense relating to the sale or possession of drugs, narcotics or controlled substances within the last five years. Caregivers may provide care for up to five patients.
To apply as a caregiver, follow this process:
- You will need to fill out a patient and caregiver application form. If the patient is already registered, you will need their patient ID number.
- You must complete the appropriate application form. All caregivers must complete a background check.
- You will need to submit a physician’s medical marijuana certificate.
- Both the Caregiver and the patient will receive a medical marijuana identification card, except in cases where a patient will not be visiting a dispensary.
How do I apply for the state program in Pennsylvania?
Before you start, have these supporting documents ready:
- A credit or debit card
Getting Your Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Card
- Your Leafwell physician will have passed all required details to the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Registry following your appointment – all the difficult work is done for you by our team!
- Log back into the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Registry.
- Pay the $50 fee.
- Patients who participate in assistance programs, including Medicaid, PACE/PACENET, CHIP, SNAP, and WIC, may qualify to have their application fee reduced to $0.
- Receive your card in the mail.
- The state will mail your medical card to your address. It normally takes 1-2 weeks to arrive after you’ve paid the fee.
- Legally purchase cannabis from an approved dispensary.
- To purchase medical cannabis, you must bring your medical cannabis card and a valid form of photo identification, such as a driver’s license, with you to the dispensary.
2705 MacArthur Rd, Whitehall, PA 18052, USA
125 Rolling Ridge Dr, State College, PA 16801, USA
3815 Perkiomen Ave, Reading, PA 19606, USA
4680 Broadway, Allentown, PA 18104
430 Northampton St, Easton, PA 18042, USA