Yes, medical marijuana patients in Minnesota can have a caregiver. Only parents, legal guardians, spouses and caregivers may give patients assistance with registration or to pickup medical cannabis. To apply as a caregiver, follow this process:
- Speak to a physician at Leafwell, who will certify the patient and state whether they need a caregiver.
- Register to the Minnesota Medical Cannabis Program, with the patient adding their caregiver’s details to the account. https://www.health.state.mn.us/
- Caregiver well be sent an email with a link. Follow this link to complete the application.
- Caregiver must complete a criminal background check, which must be mailed to the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA). The background check costs $15.
- Once the application and the criminal background check is completed, both the patient and caregiver will be sent an email confirming that the caregiver can purchase, carry and administer medical cannabis to the patient.