Talk about EASY!! The whole process took 15 minutes, including the call with the Doctor!!! Amazing!
With Leafwell, you can speak to a doctor and qualify for a Puerto Rico medical marijuana card online. The cost of the online consultation is $99, and you are only billed if approved. You must be aged 21 or over to apply for a medical card as an adult in PR.
The doctor will ask you questions based on your medical history and provide you with advice and guidance on whether medical marijuana is a good choice for you.
Complete the Application on the government website.
After your approval, your healthcare provider will submit your details to the government program. Then you’ll be able to connect this certificate to your account and submit your $25 fee.
Receive your Puerto Rico medical marijuana card.
If approved, you will receive your medical marijuana card within 30 days. While you wait, you can use your receipt as a temporary card for 30 days. Your certificate will be valid for one year from the date of issue.
Shocked how easy! Kind and understanding, definitely the best way to get your med card.
Incredibly calm and easy experience, will only use Leafwell moving forward and would recommend to anyone!
Fast, easy application process.
Only those with a valid medical marijuana certificate from a PR-licensed physician and a medical marijuana card can legally consume cannabis in Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico legalized medical cannabis back in 2015. The island has 87 dispensaries!
Here is a brief overview of the history of medical marijuana laws and legislation in Puerto Rico:
- 2015 – Puerto Rico legalized medical cannabis
- 2017 – Act 42 relaxed the rules, and Puerto Rico became one of the most open and accepting places for medical cannabis in the world
On an island just over 100 miles long, there are 87 dispensaries open, so finding a place to buy your medical marijuana is easy. There are also 13 delivery services on the island, so if you cannot easily travel, services are available to bring your medical cannabis product to you.
Medical cardholders pay 11.5% tax which is relatively high, but the quality of the products available makes it worthwhile.
Dispensaries have been open since 2017, so cardholders have excellent access to lots of different cannabis products. Plus, you can use a telemedicine platform like Leafwell to get your card online without having to leave the house to visit a physician.
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Anxiety, Panic Disorders
- Autism/Asperger Syndrome
- Bipolar Disorder/Manic Depression
- Cachexia or Wasting Syndrome
- Chronic Pain, Muscle Pain and Other Types of Pain
Possession and Growing
Smoking cannabis is illegal (you can still vape flower), but these other product types are available:
- Capsules or tablets
- Oral drops
- Oral inhalers
- Topical ointments and creams
- Transdermal patches
Recreational cannabis is illegal.
Cultivating cannabis plants is illegal in Puerto Rico.
Caregivers/Authorized Companions must be 21 years old.
Caregivers/Authorized Companions must submit their ID.
Caregivers/Authorized Companions must provide a Certification of Criminal Record as part of their application.
If you’re traveling to Puerto Rico and are worried about not taking your medical products with you, there’s no need to be concerned. Simply touch down in San Juan, and you’ll be able to buy what you need just by showing your card at the dispensary!
Telehealth services like Leafwell make it easy to get a medical marijuana card, but meeting with a cannabis doctor is only the first part of the process.
Discover CBD, or Cannabidiol and learn more about the properties this key chemical in cannabis has for medical marijuana patients.
What is it like to see a medical marijuana doctor? Learn more about the process, and what to expect during your Leafwell visit, in our guide.
- Any chronic condition or symptom
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Chemotherapy Side-Effects
- Chronic Pain
- Coeliac Disease
- Crohn’s Disease
- Irritable Bowel Diseases (IBS)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Radiation Therapy Side-Effects
- Severe Nausea
- Register online & speak to a friendly physician.
- Get approved and the physician will submit your details to the state
- Complete the state application, pay the $25 fee and download your temporary pass
- Go to a dispensary and get your meds!
- Go to the state website: https://licenciacannabis.salud.gov.pr
- Click on ‘Apply for your license’
- Complete the registration process
- You will match your social security number to the certificate submitted by the Leafwell physician to confirm that you’ve seen a healthcare provider
- Upload a passport sized/style photo which will be used on your ID card
- Pay the $25 application fee
- Once you’re registered and approved, you can access your digital certificate quickly and easily by clicking ‘Download your license’ on the government website and completing the quick application process.
How much does a Puerto Rico Medical Marijuana certificate and card cost?
Online consultation with a Puerto Rico licensed physician at Leafwell = $99
It costs $25 for the application fee, but the physician’s fee is separate.
What medical conditions qualify for a Medical Marijuana Card in Puerto Rico?
In Puerto Rico, the following conditions may qualify you for a medical marijuana certificate and card:
What do I need to know about applying for my Medical Cannabis Card in Puerto Rico online?
Using Leafwell, it’s quick and easy to attend an online medical marijuana consultations for Puerto Rico patients. Here’s how it works:
How old do I have to be to apply for a Medical Marijuana Card in Puerto Rico?
You must be aged 18 years old or over in order to apply for a medical marijuana certificate and card in Puerto Rico.
Can I be/have a caregiver for a medical marijuana patient in Puerto Rico?
Yes, the Puerto Rico medical marijuana program allows for caregivers but they call the Authorized Companions, not caregivers. However, they perform the same functionality for children, for example.
Caregivers of children under 18 may access medical cannabis in Puerto Rico for their children as long as both parents or guardians are in agreement. Caregivers must also be 21 years or older. Schools do not necessarily have to allow medical cannabis use on their grounds.
Authorized Companions have to provide official ID and a Certification of Criminal Records.
How do I apply for the state cannabis program in Puerto Rico?
Once you’ve been approved by a Leafwell physician, you’ll need to complete your application to the Puerto Rico government program. Follow these steps to get certified: