Medical Cannabis Laws in Mississippi
- 2014 – House Bill 1231, Harper Grace’s Act legalizes CBD oil.
- 2020 – Initiative 65 legalizes medical marijuana.
- 2021 – The Mississippi Supreme Court overturns Initiative 65. The decision cited a fundamental flaw in the state’s ballot initiative process that makes it impossible for any citizen-initiated measure to qualify for the ballot.
Telehealth for Cannabis in Mississippi
Telehealth is not legal for medical cannabis consultations in Mississippi.
Qualifying Conditions for Medical Cannabis Patients in Mississippi
- Agitation of Dementias
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Autism with aggressive or self-injurious behaviors
- Chronic or Debilitating Pain
- Crohn’s Disease
- Positive status for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Huntington’s Disease (HD)
- Intractable Nausea
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Muscular Dystrophy (MD)
- Pain refractory to appropriate opioid management
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Severe Muscle Spasticity
- Sickle-Cell Anemia
- Spinal Cord Diseases (SCDs) or severe injury related to the spine
- Ulcerative colitis
Medical Marijuana for Minors in Mississippi
You must be aged 18 years-old or over in order to qualify for medical marijuana in Mississippi. Those under this age will need to have a caregiver. A caregiver is someone at least twenty-one years of age who has been granted caregiver status by the Mississippi Department of Health.
Mississippi caregivers will need to undergo a criminal background check. Breaking the law may result in a caregiver’s identification card being revoked. Caregivers cannot consume medical marijuana.
There is no law specifying whether minors can consume medical cannabis on school grounds, but it is not legal to use within 500 feet of a school. It is probably best to assume it is not legal to do so at this moment in time.
Cannabis Possession Limits in Mississippi
For medical card holders = Up to 2.5 ounces of medical cannabis every 14 days (2 weeks).
N/A as of May 2021.
Cannabis Cultivation Laws in Mississippi
Growing cannabis plants is illegal in Mississippi.
Medical Cannabis Qualification and Gun Laws
It is not legal for a medical marijuana patient to own a firearm in Mississippi.
Medical Marijuana and Employment Laws
Employers are not required to accommodate the use of medical marijuana at their place of employment. The rules will be further refined in July, 2021.